View Single Post
DonRacer (Offline)
  #8 12/6/09 2:40 PM
Originally Posted by TQ29m:
My thought was this, how many motors are already in the pipeline, I'm talking motors that are in use right now, "flatdead's" if that's what you want to call them, to allow "just any" DOHC" would be like tying the Fox to a stake,and turning the dogs loose, the dogs being the current engines. A lot of us can remember when the "new OHV" engines came on the scene, Roy Prosser was the first one I can remember, and it may have been a Plymouth, or Studebaker, but it was fast, now if you say DOHC, look for an Indy Honda to appear, or some of the other "available for a price" motors. I don't think it is time to go there, the DOHC Fords were nice to listen to, but even the guys that could afford them, couldn't afford the maint on them. True, the newer engines are a lot more reliable than the early ones, and someday it will come about, but lets not "push" it yet, as it is, what cars and teams we have now, are pressed for $$, and it might even be cheaper, in the long run, but the cost to make the change, would it be worth it? I'd like to see a field of flathead's and Rangers again, but that ain't likely! And don't forget the 270 GMC's. Bob
"I'm talking motors that are in use right now, "flatdead's" if that's what you want to call them, to allow "just any" DOHC" would be like tying the Fox to a stake,and turning the dogs loose, the dogs being the current engines."

I think the real question here is, can a non-wing sprint car that uses the DT3 spec tire handle more HP then is currently available with the 410 OHV engine?

If the answer is no, then all of the existing "Dogs" would still be in the hunt.