View Single Post
4/10/14, 12:52 PM   #6
Re: USAC HPD K24 Honda midget "thingy"
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
I think the only way (or at least the easiest way) to keep a "spec" motor "spec" is to single-source it the way they're doing, that way you eliminate all the cries of "He's cheating" without cutting windows in everybody's crankcases (sorry Dad ). Of course, then you open yourself up to cries of "keeping it all for themselves". Somebody's going to complain, no matter what.
Fortunately, there are a number of ways that are currently being attempted to make Midget racing more available to the lesser-funded; if you don't like HPD, you can try IMRA, or the Illini Series or Montpelier (my choice); we'll see how Gas City pans out. On the higher end, POWRI is making inroads into our area via cooperation with USAC, they're trying to help revive the Badger series and looks like things are growing in Oklahoma too. Wayne's trying to grow the sport in Florida; to me it looks like good things are happening for the little cars...
Pat

My mind is to inquisitive for a spec series. Racers could Save a lot of money by just going to a rental go kart track like Steve Johnson's if he is still there. They set their motors with a tac so everybody comes up to the same speed.

Better yet they make a portable chassis dyno now. The group could buy one, take it to the track, set it at a predetermined load and adjust all the engines to a maximum rpm at that load. Seal and tag the motor and go racing. Do this before every race. The perfect spec racer.

Honest Dad himself