View Single Post
6/24/18, 12:21 PM   #10
Re: Would Indy Car Drivers Race on
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Whether we admit it or not the split happened when CART split from USAC. It just continued with the formation of the Indy Racing League. A lot of the reason why Indy Cars are not on many ovals, is the 2 groups that control almost all of them are not interested. If Penske still owned California and Michigan, I would bet they would still run there.
Has more to do with a crowd of 5,000, a cat, couple of dogs, a few roosters, and 10 rats showing up than not wanting to do them. This was one of the very complaints made during the first split in regards to promotion, audience, etc. Miles has repeatedly said it does nothing to grow the sport, and I agree with the him and guy knows what he is doing, to show up and present to a national audience, especially with this new TV contract, when you have 5 freaking people in the stands.

That second split killed any momentum gained, even the 500 took a big hit. Took these guys out of the spotlight. Yea, you got to see some local heroes run the 500, but at a huge cost. As much respect as I have for drivers like Kinser, they were never going to garner the attention of someone like an Alonso.
Last edited by Brickyard; 6/24/18 at 12:22 PM.