View Single Post
10/1/16, 9:14 AM   #10
Re: Houston astrodome race
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

The rundown of the finish kind of highlights why Indy Car racing is not doing as well as it should. By my count there were at least 13 out of the 26 drivers in the event that had qualified for the 500 not to mention at least five more who attempted to get into the 500. Wow, do you think having Indy 500 driver race at your local event might bring new fans to the tracks. Look at the entry list and you will see many Indy 500 past or future winners. Sad that the road racing folks have made Indy racing more of "technical perfection corner entry and exit" rather than "out braving" someone for the spot. Don't get me wrong, the 500 is still "the greatest race in the land," but, we need more of the dirt drivers have a chance to make the show. I remember seeing just about all 500 winners from 1950 to 1964 plus Andretti, the two Unsers and Rutherford run a sprint, midget or dirt champ car at Williams Grove, Reading, Langhorne, or Allentown at some time during their racing days. I think I saw "Vucky" run a midget at Reading and Old Bridge, NJ when AAA came East in the early 50's, not sure that is correct or not.