Thread: The Rumor Mill
View Single Post
6/22/09, 8:09 PM   #12
Re: The Rumor Mill
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint38racer View Post
i saw a post this week where jan opperman won $12,000 at terre haute and second paid 7,700 30 years ago. I wonder how this was able to be paid in those times. I have a theory and tell me if it is just nuts. I remember as a kid watching the hulman classic on abc wide world of sports around that time period. Did abc pay a certain amount to cover the race and some of the money used in the purse structure? If yes, what is the situation with any tv races these days? One of the reasons professional baseball, football, basketball, golf, tennis, etc. Teams and athletes are so lucrative is because of television monies right? Is that not largely also how napacar and indy car are able to pay the purses they pay? If yes, why doesn't this occur to some degree for open wheel racing. I know there are not many televised races of any open wheel series now, but when there was it didn't seem that any television monies were flowing, or if they were they were not enough to make any noticable difference. Again i don't know if any of my thoughts are right or not, but i haved wondered about this and am curious if anyone has any definite answers.
abc paid every car $1000 that raced on sat the fastest 28 cars plus 4 more cars 29 30 31 32! In case they needed them! Now promoters pay for tv!!!!!!!!!! PLUS USAC GOT $50000

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

When espn covered usac races they gave every car that raced on tv $125 big spenders and then that went away usac took all the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by SUPERDUKE; 6/22/09 at 8:17 PM.