Thread: D2
View Single Post
1/28/18, 9:12 PM   #33
Re: D2
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget98 View Post
I believe you are absolutely correct. I think if they could get peak HP up to around the 340-350 mark by doing something to the rules without really increasing costs too much you would see racing back to how it used to be. For me the current cars look to be lacking just a little bit of power especially when there is a cushion to run on.
I would argue that Badger is there now. They don't have the peak HP of a Toyota, SR-11 or Esslinger BB7. However, that was never the intention of the rules anyway. The intention was to be fast enough to keep the fans entertained while also reducing cost to a range acceptable for the average or regional racer. The cost came in right about where people expected ($15K new which is the same as a new top of the line D2 engine) and the speed exceeded expectations.

The engines do not make as much overall HP but they are extremely drivable which allows them to turn some fast laps. The Badger guys turn Angell Park at around 14.9-15.0 today. When Badger ran head to head with POWRI National at the Pepsi Nationals the fastest lap turned in the feature was by Andrew Felker at a 15.449 with the best Badger car at a 15.659. Two Badger cars were in the top 11 for feature lap times. So they can turn quick laps. Where they suffer is when you lose momentum. When you make a mistake with a Badger engine it costs you far more than if you had a purpose built engine.

One thing people don't realize is that the Toyotas, SR-11s and Esslinger BB7s are running 161 to 166 CID and the Badger engines are only at 146 CID. The architecture of a Badger engine doesn't allow them to get to those cubic inch sizes. The Badger engine program has been extremely successful and it will only get better as more teams come on board.

Edit: I should also mention the Badger weight rule is 1100lbs with driver to eliminate the advantage of carbon fiber and titanium, whereas USAC is 1035lbs and POWRI is 1050lbs with driver. So Badger has not only tried to reduce cost on engines but on cars as well. If Badger cars were down at the USAC and POWRI weights that 14.9-15.0 would certainly be quicker.
Last edited by Ray3; 1/28/18 at 9:56 PM.

3 members like this post: buck2, Cobra 14, droopster