View Single Post
1/2/14, 5:17 PM   #10
Re: What do you miss?
JJMooney

• Flaggers who started races from down on the track. Other than the Chili Bowl, I think the last time I saw it done was around 1979 at our local quarter mile bullring.

• Race nights that were completed so early there’d be a huge crowd of spectators (and their kids) waiting to get into the pits after the races so they could see the cars up close and meet the drivers.

• Victory laps where the race winner carried the checkered flag around for a lap following the heat race or feature.

• The sound of a big block engine without mufflers. Growing up in the Northeast, the massive 427 or 454 cubic inch plus Chevy big blocks powered our modifieds, supermodifieds and even sprint cars. A full field of those at speed would practically shake the fillings out of your teeth.

• Scantily-clad trophy girls

• I too miss races cars towed on open trailers. Add to that ramp trucks and the occasional school bus converted into a hauler.

• Hand lettered paint jobs on race cars. Paint. Not vinyl.

• The anticipation for Thursday’s mail to arrive because that’s the day your racing papers showed up in your mail box. And you could finally find out who won and where last weekend.

• As far as track announcers go, for me it was hearing Jack Burgess' voice echo around the Oswego Speedway…or the New York State Fairgrounds.

• Kiddie rides. Once a year our local tracks would have a special promotion and let the kids ride around in a race car. Back in the days of the roomy pre-War coupes and coaches, you never actually lived until you got to ride in a race car with your favorite driver and held on for a few slow laps around the track. Those nights were the highlight of my childhood.