View Single Post
12/1/17, 1:10 PM   #5
Re: Usac: Free car entry open to knepper 55 competitors! Tic
Simon_says17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisprintfan View Post
Thinking about going for the first time this year. What should I expect as far as conditions? How are the fumes? I went to the Indy invitational a couple of years ago, how does it compare? Is the building completely closed up, or is it partially open? Do you need a coat or does it stay fairly warm? After the Leffler memorial got cancelled, I am not sure I can wait until the Spring to get my racing fix.
Ha well as far as "weather" conditions...that has been an absolute crap shoot for this race. Usually cold, windy (not alot of cover around the building), and ice/snow have happened here before, but such is life in the Midwest in the middle of December. Fumes are bearable but I've seen them get to people after a while. My uncle brought in an industrial fumes reader from work out of curiosity one year and the alarm on it was going off almost the whole time lol. There were different thresholds on it and during the feature it was losing it's mind telling us to leave the area immediately. I try to take breaks in the parking lot or the pits whenever I can. I was also at Indy but I don't remember how the fumes compare to this race but as far as the racing...well there's just no comparison to be made there.

The pits at Du Quoin snake from the back stretch all the way around turns 1 & 2 and then spill out of the back of the building (behind turns 1 & 2). So it is partially open and yes I would bring a coat. You can always leave what you don't need in the car. It can get pretty cold in the building depending on what's going on outside. If you need your fix, I definitely recommend it. I've been going every year I've been able to since it started and have no plans of stopping.