Thread: Bloomington
View Single Post
7/28/19, 7:19 PM   #30
openwheelfan1

There was a comment earlier about USAC “upping their game” with regard to the sprint series. Here are my thoughts:

The 2019 USAC AMSOIL National schedule is 45 races in 10 states. It goes to most states and/or areas that have tracks running non winged sprint cars, Oklahoma being the exception.

With regard to paying a larger purse, I personally would not be opposed to paying $5 more per ticket for an increased purse, but I know there are many that would not. And I readily admit, we only attend about 15 of the 45 races on the schedule, so the impact to me is a lot less than to someone that attends 30 or more National races/year. A few years back there was almost a riot on this site when it became known that ticket prices for most USAC races were going from $22 to $25 due to a purse increase. It is such a balancing act, and in truth, I’m not convinced that an increased purse, even if the money was put in the bottom half of the field would draw more cars or fans. I fully understand what an increased purse would do to help the race teams!

I love non wing racing, but in fairness, I also enjoy WoO racing. I would love to see USAC have a race like the Kings Royal with 20,000+ in attendance paying $175,000 to win! But the bottom line is non-wing Sprint cars are more niche/regional than winged racing. Non-winged racing is growing, but it is going to take time.
Last edited by openwheelfan1; 7/28/19 at 8:11 PM.