Thread: The Rumor Mill
View Single Post
6/24/09, 10:42 PM   #138
Re: The Rumor Mill
pgray

This thread began as a Kevin Miller spin-off of "the Duke's" thread entitled " Pavement Sprints and Midgets ".
Miller stepped in to " give you guys the facts " ( re: post #1 , sentence #1 ) and who would have thought you'd still be debating all of this 150-plus posts later ?

We're approaching 53 hours of posting in this thread and USAC probably hasn't seen anything yet that they didn't already know , care to fix , or know how to fix as the " fixes " all come with great difficulty and a variety of hurdles to overcome , that frankly , won't be overcome. In some things the damage has long been done with much of it irreversible.

The Duke is an easy target with spelling , grammar , punctuation , stuck cap-locks and all the rest. None of this should be the focus.
Duke is passionate in his beliefs and rightfully so. His knowledge of the sport comes from real life experiences that far exceeds that of any twenty-year-old fan.
It is just ridiculous to think otherwise. He competed in an era that we all appreciate and remember as being superior in any number of ways as compared to the product today.

Anyone who follows this sport can easily see problems that they would fix if they could. The problems and fixes will vary as everything is perception. The problems are well documented here in great detail.
Again , I would say " does anyone really believe that USAC has learned anything that they didn't already know ? ". I don't think so ... and because all of this has been going on for so long they probably don't see a cure either !

Pavement racing , both Sprint and Midget is in trouble , and probably won't exist in any substantial form five years from now.
And this brings us back to " the Duke " and his expressions of the past ... I do understand , Duke.
It is far more satisfying to take a look back when what's up ahead appears so void of anything we recognize.
The Duke knows that it didn't have to be this way ...:34;

2 members like this post: SPRINTCAR, SUPERDUKE