View Single Post
ISF (Offline)
  #31 6/3/14 2:43 PM
Originally Posted by S2K:
Any chance of LaSalle getting an IL midget week or separate POWRi race at some point?

I think midgets or non-wing sprints would put on a great show there, and it would be a draw for fans in northern IL, but don't know if there's a reason why it hasn't happened.
S2K, we live about 30-40 minutes from La Salle Speedway and they've tried several times to run midgets and wingless sprints. At one time they had a Bob Tattersall Memorial race there since Bob was from Streator, IL which is also 30-40 minutes from La Salle. It seemed they just couldn't get a decent car count and the crowd was pretty sparse as well. I believe the last time midgets ran La Salle they had 7 cars and the crowd was very thin.

However, we went to the MOWA winged show there last August and they had a good car count and a better than average crowd, as well. Only thing I can figure is the local sprint car guys have a large following that maybe the touring midgets and sprints don't bring with them.

La Salle is in the heart of dirt late model purgatory and it seems that tracks like Fairbury, Kankakee and La Salle won't draw cars or crowds for the open wheel genre.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.