Thread: Rubber Down
View Single Post
6/12/18, 10:40 PM   #1
Rubber Down
flagboy55

2 things get my goat when they occur in my world of sprint car racing. (There's probably more, but for this post we'll say 2). Fuel stops, and locked down, rubber down race tracks. While enjoying my dirtvision fast pass watching the Outlaws this past month, I saw at least 3 races that became a single lane, rubber down track, so bad that if you're leading and reach the back markers, you almost have to follow them instead of putting them a lap down, miss the rubber and the train goes by. While I watched the 40k to win, Jackson Nationals wind down and turn into one groove in about 25 of 40 laps (granted, they had 3 shows in 2 days) It got me wondering about the 100 lap late model race going on at the same time at Eldora and wondering if it turned into one lane? After watching the highlights the next day, turns out that the full body cars were racing from the inside wall to the outside wall, no single groove and the race distance was more than twice as many laps. So why do the sprints rubber down a racetrack in 30 laps or less, and the late models can go a hundred. I know there are plenty of factors, but in my mind it has to be tire compound more than anything. Curious if anyone else feels that way and if anyone has a real answer.