View Single Post
8/22/17, 6:10 PM   #11
Re: How young is too young
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

I know that all driver who race in NJ in a "pro division" MUST have a valid driver's license regardless of age. Several drivers who have their license suspended for various infractions were barred until their suspensions were lifted. If memory serves me correctly a young man who wanted to drive URC sprints had to get special clearance because he was only 16 or 17 and NJ had a requirement drive full size sprints was 18. To me that makes the most sense on this issue. I am not sure how accurate this is but I was told of 14 year old who was running wingless 600s as a support division with the recent USAC Eastern midget series was not allowed to run with USAC even though he has run with PowerI series this year. I know that there are many young drivers who are mature enough and with talent enough do drive full size race cars but what is the hurry? Forget the potential for injury or worse. What about the financial risk to the parents who risk future financial stability to fund the program? How do you justify not spending the money on siblings education? I am well aware of traffic deaths and football deaths, but sadly because so many people are killed in traffic accidents, the news media only deals with local issues. You are not going to see reports of a traffic accident in PA in a KY newspaper, but I am very sure a death of a youngster in a full size race car will be picked up on the wire and will be national news. 18 is young enough for me, heck there are a lot of 20ish and 30ish drivers who are not mature enough in my opinion but at least they are of age to make their own decision about their future.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, Phylo82, racer5c, tirespinner