View Single Post
12/1/17, 12:55 PM   #4
Re: Usac: Free car entry open to knepper 55 competitors! Tic
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisprintfan View Post
Thinking about going for the first time this year. What should I expect as far as conditions? How are the fumes? I went to the Indy invitational a couple of years ago, how does it compare? Is the building completely closed up, or is it partially open? Do you need a coat or does it stay fairly warm? After the Leffler memorial got cancelled, I am not sure I can wait until the Spring to get my racing fix.
This will be our 7th or 8th trip down to Du Quoin for the indoor show. Generally the fumes aren't too bad. I wasn't at the Indy Invitational so I can't compare the two situations but I've never encountered fumes any worse at Du Quoin than at The Chili Bowl. You'll probably want to wear a light to medium weight jacket depending on the outside temperature but most times a sweatshirt is sufficient.

If you intend to stay the night you might want to look into a place about 12 miles East of the track near Rend Lake. Lake Cove Resort, Whittington, Illinois is the name of the place. Good quality, clean rooms for under $75.00 per night. It's at the corner of Illinois Rt. 154 and Illinois Rt. 37 just east of Interstate 57 at exit #77 East of Rend Lake.

If you're getting into town early enough you might look into having lunch or an early dinner at The St. Nicholas Brewery. It's located in downtown Du Quoin at 12 South Oak St. Very good, reasonably priced food and a great selection of craft beers. It's kind of a neat place since it's in the same building where the old St. Nicholas Hotel used to be. The old timers tell about how many of the drivers would stay there back when Du Quoin was on the AAA & USAC Championship Trail. There's a little racing history and just a touch of racing ambiance going on in the place.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, erich45, luckybuc97, miledirt, Simon_says17