Thread: USAC HPD Series
View Single Post
2/21/15, 3:16 PM   #33
Re: USAC HPD Series
Revolution Racing

Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
I'm not one who is typically anti-USAC but I have the feeling from the original text that once the Honda-powered field is amply stocked the offer to run with them is off the table. Maybe not this year or even next, but eventually I expect that the Powers-that-be at Honda desire the HPD Midget series to be just that.
Wayne, did Eric give you any other impression? If so I stand corrected.
This is 100% not intended to be criticism, merely observation; I wish HPD/USAC, AMSA and SOLMS every success.
In any case the Zonker is not AMSA and REALLY not SOLMS-legal, so I hope to see you all at Montpelier this year, the True Home of Midget Democracy.
Jim

The old concept of a spec type race car, where the competitors are tied to one particular manufactured race car or engine has been tried over and over again but they all eventually fail. The reason is because the sanctioning body in their desire to make a motor or chassis or racing parts more affordable to race by requiring the racer to purchase his parts from one supplier takes away a very important and fundamental reason for racing in the first place. Their failure is because they removed "Competition". When the racer is forced to buy from one supplier there is no need for that supplier to make his operation more efficient or design a better part where he might be able to sell to the racer cheaper. In the end the suppliers end up with the desire to make a larger and larger profit and the racers find that their inexpensive racing is just too expensive.

Honest Dad himself

This was a great exchange of perspectives on the topic. I don't comment much anymore, but I can't resist here. Jim, if history is any indicator, you are exactly right. When we started the focus program on the west coast, we needed cars to round out the field because we just had a few Focii to start. So we invited the west coast TQ guys to race with us. Once we had a full field of Focii we kicked the TQ's to the curb. Now, it was not my call whether or not to include the TQ's and not my call about dumping them either, but I think one could possibly make the argument that it was a mutually beneficial arrangement. The TQ guys got to go to some really good tracks and race in front of some larger crowds (which they totally deserve to do, IMO), and the ford bunch got to put on a better show while the deal was ramping up. Once the field was full of Fidgets, the TQ's were naturally invited to race elsewhere. Nothing really right or wrong about that and really nothing underhanded about it - just business.

Now Dad - you and I agree on a whole lot more than we disagree on, but your post motivated me to illustrate an 'op-ed' view of what you said. I completely agree that with midget racers, perhaps more than any other bunch, the desire to be individual and to do your own thing is very strong. And obviously the focus project went away from that trend. But to say that spec engine type racing inevitably fails is just not correct. In fact almost ALL of the really successful series running today are spec. From IndyCar to Legends and Karting, spec programs have been very successful - just not in Midget racing but I think its obvious we have not had good management. When we started the Ford program, we did so because we saw large numbers of potential Midget racers choosing other forms instead because they offered less complexity and less overhead. The Focus program allowed guys to run a midget without the big motor bill and at the time, that was something new. Now, lots of groups are doing it and although I wish the HPD series good luck, it is destined to be an indiana thing and maybe a little on the west coast but I doubt it.

One final note - in the case of the Focus program there were a few reasons why it failed but one of them certainly was NOT escalating motor costs. I built every engine that ever ran in that program, including all the ones that were later sold by Roush, and the price I charged for a package never got out of hand. Other things did for sure, things not in my control, but not engine costs. And, although I did make a living at it for a few years I promise you I didn't get rich.

Thanks to everyone who keeps the conversation going - I'm kinda burnt out on it all but still love the sport.

Keith Iaia

9 members like this post: 99racing, chtaylor, Crankin, fish, gearguy, jjones752, Tom23, Wayne Davis, WBR 3E