View Single Post
9/9/15, 10:00 PM   #10
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrightrear View Post
I read on a Ky. Lake Speedway forum that the racers have left that place in droves this year and track conditions is one of the problems. They have about 25-30 cars total running in five divisions so support of the track by racers is poor. Anybody planning on going a fer piece to get there might want to do a little scoping out first if possible. That place has had nothing but trouble ever since it opened up years ago. Great facility when built but never a success. But hope looms eternal. I'll probably pass.
We live just a few miles from KLMS. Like a lot of tracks, the long extreme winter had an impact on the track and early in the season the track would sometimes get rough. In fairness to KLMS, so did some of the Indiana tracks early this year.

Yes, KLMS is only getting 5-10 cars per class. But so is Paducah International Raceway (PIR) which runs on Friday night. Clarksville Speedway, about an hour away in Clarksville TN runs on Saturday night and has been averaging about the same numbers as KLMS. Unfortunately, this area, comprised of Western KY, N W TN, and S IL are some of the most economically depressed areas in the country with unemployment still hovering around 10%. None of the tracks down here are drawing cars well, simply because they just aren't down here. And simply put, their weekly payouts down here are not high enough to draw cars from 150-200 miles away.

KLMS is a beautiful facility, easily accessible and has motels and restaurants within 10 minutes of the track. The track itself is a cross between Eldora and Tri-State, high banked, with more sweeping corners than Tri-State. With all that said, DO NOT expect a track as smooth as Tri-State. The dirt at the tracks down here just won't bond and roll out like it does at Haubstadt.

Personally, I can't wait for the USAC sprinters to get here!!