View Single Post
3/25/11, 4:30 AM   #5
Re: Driver ID Help with Misc. Photos
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdzsprint View Post
The Union 76 driver's name appears to be Don Albritain (this is strictly a guess). I've seen Gary Albritain race and the car says 'owner' Gary on the side. The driver's uniform sitting on the nerf bar looks like it might say Gary? Don is possibly a relative?...Dad,brother? Again this is only a guess....#75..I have a photo of this same car at Winchester listing it as 'Joe Langley's' #75 with Gene Hartley behind the wheel. But the photo was taken in 1950. If it was Langley's car that Mackey was killed in and your photo was taken at Winchester on July 29,1951 (Black Sunday) as you stated then it's most likely Mackey and could be a rare photo. I don't know how many pictures exist of Mackey on this day? I have a full article in Open Wheel about him but it's in a storage chest of over 500 old racing magazines and it'll take a while to find. William C. Gretsinger Jr. a.k.a. Bill Mackey was only 23 when he died.
Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever be 100% sure who is in the #75. I've spent quite a bit of time searching around looking for verification. I came across a head shot of Mackey in a helmet and that helmet was darker in color than the white one in this photo. I guess it's possible he had more than one helmet. The photo doesn't have a photographers stamp so I don't even know who took it. The only thing on the back is what I mentioned above. If you come across the Open Wheel article I would appreciate knowing anything helpful. At least I know now that this is probably Langley's car. Thanks for your help. Russ

---------- Post added at 04:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

Thanks for all the responses and info. Keep them coming.