View Single Post
Jonr (Offline)
  #34 3/12/15 3:05 PM
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike:
No. No. Don't remove it. That would be the easy way out.

USAC absolutely DESTROYED the Silver Crown Series. DESTROYED. They bought into NASCAR and were so stupid that they never even got kissed while they were being screwed.

USAC has done about..... oh....... lets be nice and say they have done NOTHING to promote midgets. NOTHING. Enter POWRi midgets. USAC is lucky Wisconsin is far enough away that the Badger Midgets cannot run in Indiana weekly. Indiana is unlucky for that.

Want to talk dirt sprints? Let's go. A great series! Great cars! We all love it here! I love it. You love it. He loves it. She loves it. But where is the promotion?

Go to a WoO race and they have maybe 13-14-15 cars touring all year long. The rest are locals joining the show - filling out the field. But everywhere they race, the joint is PACKED. PACKED! People KNOW what a WoO show is.

Another point - I went down to East Bay a few weeks ago and ASCS had 67 cars there. 67! When was the last time you saw 67 USAC sprinters in the pits - ON A THURSDAY NIGHT? Hell, the All Stars outdraw USAC! Even outside of Ohio. Guy Webb or not. Now, with Stewart owning/promoting it, THAT gap will only widen.

Kokomo, Bloomington, Lawrenceburg, and Gas City (the past few years) have CARRIED non-wing dirt sprints in Indiana. Not USAC - Kokomo, Bloomington, Lawrenceburg, and Gas City with their weekly shows. You can pitch the USAC ball but I am not going to swing at it.

As one would say on Robin Miller's racer.com column - Thanks for the rant.
I will disagree with some of your comments and a couple other comments are just flat wrong.

I know that I am in the minority on what USAC did with Silver Crown cars, but I think that was a risk that they had to take. If the new cars would have succeded, the Silver Crown division could have carried the rest of the brand. New cars, New markets, racing at NASCAR facilities, potential pipeline for NASCAR drivers and sponsors. It was a risk that I think was worth taking. It was deffinitely a swing for the fences for the Silver Crown cars.

You definitely have not been keeping up with the Badger midget series. They have had a rougher time lately than USAC. Thier car counts have been so problematic that they have changed to a completely different motor package to try to bring back cars.

WOO is special because it is an event. If you want to see Steve Kinser, you better get out to the track because the WOO is only in town once a year. Wingless sprints in Indianna is a saturated market. If you want to see your favorite non wing driver, you are going have multiple changes this month to do so. Hell, maybe multiple chances in one weekend. Having a strong weekly show is both a positive and a negative.

You obviously have not been keeping up with the ASCS National Series. They are having a ton of issues as well. The health of ASCS is a constant topic on Hoseheads.
6 Likes: BrentTFunk, fish, FishBurger, Jbaldwin, Midget 89, opnwhlmnd