View Single Post
8/6/12, 10:37 AM   #6
Re: OT: The Great Big C Word
IndyBound

I have another story to share with you in line with what Mudpacker said, cancer can and does strike at any age. This past weekend the Oswego Firefighters organized a benefit for 7 year old Julian Ross. A year ago Julian was diagnosed with neuroblastoma, a rare form of childhood cancer where painful tumors develop from nerve tissue. Just two weeks after Julian's diagnosis a year ago his Dad lost his job and health care benefits. The family has had to sell their home and just about all of their wordly possessions to help meet the cost of Juilan's treatments. Tomorrow Julian will return to Children's Hosppital of Philadelphia for his next round of experimental radiation therapy for neuroblastoma.

Julian's family maintains a website to help raise money for his treatment and help raise awareness of his condition, this rare form of childhood cancer afflicting only 650 children in the United States and just over 1,000 globally. If anyone is interested in helping the Ross family out you can do so on line at www.juliansjoust.com.

Over the weekend someone started a thread making today a day of no complaining, I challenge you even further when you are feeling low because you don't think the racing conditions that weekend are what you thought they should have been; think about someone you know that has battled cancer, go and donate your time at a cancer event or treatment center for cancer patients. I think you will find you don't have a care in the world compared to what they have or are going through.

I have lost both of my grandmothers, a granfather, my father, three great aunts, three aunts and two of my my Mom's cousins to cancer.

An still believe early detection is the best way to beat cancer.

Thanks for listening!!!

Patti

3 members like this post: racegal, RacinBabe, Seadog