View Single Post
2/8/16, 1:27 AM   #40
Re: USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete
sprinter14

As a promoter myself, I chose to implement a minimum requirement of 16 years of age with a valid driver's license from your state to compete in BOSS events. As stated by some others, a sprint car is a far cry from a mini sprint or a stock car. However, I believe it is an issue that the entire industry needs to look at.

In a world where everyone is so quick to jump on the next new bandwagon safety device, sometimes we overlook the obvious. Maybe tethers aren't as important as drug testing, underage drivers and kids ripping through the pits on quads!!

For those of you not familiar with Australia's racing industry, it is run by the government. Racing in Australia is a lot more expensive than it is here partially because of this.

Now my point is this ...... the last 2 times sprint cars made CNN headline news were when a 15 year old in California crashed into the pits killing people and the infamous New York incident. I'm afraid we are one good catastrophe (of an underage driver) from the government looking into regulating racing here.

If we as an industry don't have the common sense to put good safety precautions in place, Uncle Sam will do it for us .......... and if you think racing is expensive now ...................

Aaron Fry
BOSS