View Single Post
6/22/19, 10:08 AM   #7
Re: Atomic Speedway Accident
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
I was watching it on Speedshift and was able to use the time bar at the bottom to replay it a couple of times. The irony in the incident was that even though the track's fence wasn't nearly up to the job of stopping a flying sprint car, the small fence/railing on that end of the grandstand held up and prevented the sprinter from going completely into the stands. It could have been a real disaster. Especially for that one individual that took some impact, before the recoil of that fence helped send the race car back over the side. And if that person had been sitting just a row lower, they would have taken an even harder hit. It just goes to show you what can happen if things go wrong at one of these race tracks and how you have to be aware at all times. Hopefully those injured are on their way to a full recovery.

Jerry
Well stated, The irony is the wall was meant as a safety improvement and got exploited it's first night out.

There is no way to go into everything I see wrong at every track I go to. Some have very few that I could identify, Others have many that can be fixed, A few probably shouldn't be racing at all.

From what I've seen in racing over 50yrs is if it can happen, it eventually will.

The sport won't and can't ever be 100% safe. I say go enjoy it as much as you can But be self aware, Ask yourself, What if? Since I went to that track the first time, I'd of personally never sat in turn three. I don't sit or stand next to fences etc.

Like everyone else there, we were all in confused worry. once details that everyone was conscious and not life threatening. I then thought that Smoke would pull the plug. Several minutes later, That happened.

It was the right call.

No more post by me on the subject. I feel bad for everyone, Fans, Racers even the track,, yet relieved everyone will be ok.