View Single Post
1/29/17, 12:25 PM   #15
Re: Tire Rule Question
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
...As far as the rules it is my opinion that if you are going to have a tire rule the easiest way to enforce is to mandate a certain tire. I'm not convinced that the durometer readings can be consistent enough to use as an objective measure. I would rather race under no tire rules than durometer rules.

Just my opinion.

Tim Simmons
With the different chemical treatments available today, I'm told you can treat tires to behave in many different ways without effecting the durometer reading. Early in my racing career when I raced karts I soaked my tires with many different things, it wasn't illegal and was openly practiced by everyone. As I matured and learned about the dangers, I stopped soaking and began buying a larger inventory of tires so I could select the proper compound for the surface. I actually ran better once I gave up soaking, now having said that I'm more in favor of open tire rules than exclusive tire rules. I hate track tire rules because one, they usually only benefit the track owner and the tire supplier and two, they tempt those among us who have a bit of larceny in their hearts to cheat, and steal a victory. Call me stupid, naive or ignorant, but I won't knowingly ever cheat for an advantage, period. If there must be a tire rule I prefer the ones that are, "open" brand/compound, but maybe stipulate you have to race on the same tire you qualified on with maybe an optional RR change. Excessive nascaresque type rules and limiting individual creativity and ingenuity in racing are why I left DLM racing & karting. That's my take on tire rules, less is more, as long as the rules are consistently enforced on "everyone". I don't like rules that reward the lazy racers who don't want to have to make an effort either in mental thought or a commitment in time. Learn to be faster.
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 1/29/17 at 8:05 PM.

1 member likes this post: MKTQ17