View Single Post
10/31/13, 12:51 AM   #39
Re: Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting
DAD

Just keep throwing stuff against the wall and see what sticks. Years ago when we raced 600cc cars at "Wonder Valley" a guy named Henery Hall took the track over. He being a TQ man at heart decided to allow only left rear tires for the rear wheels. I though that this was really stupid, We did not get along to well and we were soon banished to racing with the guys in Ohio and the Buckeye Mini Sprints.

Looking back on things maybe old Henery might not have been too far off base.

What makes the UMP modified so popular? I would probably have to think the same things that urkes Mini Sprinters setting in the warm up shut waiting for them to finish their main event one lap at a time. Yeh it's them darned skinny arss rear tires. They are governed by the tire and the ability of the driver to stay on top of things. Most of them don't and somebody spins out every lap. In the 90's a 78" was as large left as they made now it's 80 inches, but it's only has a 10" tread.

If the right rear was limited to 80 inches with a 10" tread we could give a midget one he1l of a race.

About 10 years ago some old guy up in Ohio had a special midget race, and he included 600cc mini sprints as being a midget. The midgets were limited to 10 inch tread and the 600cc cars were allowed to run the 12 inch tread. The winner of his race was Lynn Ambrose in a ERC 600 cc upright mini sprint.

By changing the right rear tire size to 80" x 10" we might be able to include midgets in the race format. It would probably make the older mini sprints and motors more competitive also. If you want more cars you got to make racing more competitive, I don't think speed will increase the car count, being faster than another class will not entice more people to race with us but if a racer thinks he has a chance with his 10 year old car that could increase the car count.

(Also TQ secret) they have a lot of race cars, because I guess the old cars never die. A lot of Tq drivers are racing cars that are older than they are, and I know a few cars that might even be older than their dads are.

When a guy walks through the pits and sees all the super trick $18,000,00 race cars setting there "to hell with the motors" he's going to say this stuff ain't for me. But when he see's a guy go out with a plain looking old sh1t box and beats them guys he says well maybe we could afford to go racing after all.

It is possible to race a dirt open wheel Midget size car and win without selling the farm, and 1000cc mini sprints is the class you can do it in. I probably have less money invested in my car and motor than a lot of open wheel modified racers have in their engine alone.

ASK YOURSELF>>>>>>>> WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO TO MAKE THIS CLASS MORE COMPETITIVE BOTH FOR LOW BUDGET AND HIGH BUDGET RACERS ALIKE??? We are close already.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 10/31/13 at 9:46 AM.

1 member likes this post: jjones752