View Single Post
6/21/11, 6:08 PM   #24
Re: OT-Tin Tops on CBS-Your Thoughts?
Spi-nex

Think back to when you were a kid and picking a car. Usually a kid will pick some car that is easily seen (back in the early 90's my guy was Davey Allison because i could pick out that big 'Texaco' logo anywhere.... just like the kids from the late 90's watched Jeff Gordon because of that rainbow scheme).

When you watch 20+ dirt LM's (or any other full body car class), every car has some identifying feature that makes it unique. When you watch 20+ non-wings on track there is so little room for sponsors and numbers that there isn't any space left to make a car unique.

Regardless of the quality of racing or class, the layman race fan needs something to relate to.

The diehards will always know the who's who and where the racing will be, but the diehards can't keep racing afloat by themselves.

Don't get me wrong... I would never give up the racing at a place like Kokomo for ANYTHING. One of the most positive things I see at Kokomo and gives me hope for the future, is when the Sprints are firing off is all the younger kids come running to the stands to watch. Obviously the kids are hooked on something beyond what we understand. Maybe one of these days someone will ask those kids why they come running to the stands instead of running out to the parking lot to throw the football around like you see at so many other tracks. Whatever it is... maybe someone needs to take notice and build on that. Tintop's or not.