Thread: The Rumor Mill
View Single Post
6/22/09, 10:23 PM   #29
Re: The Rumor Mill
staggerman

I would like to see the pavement and dirt sprints break off into two seperate series and point funds. If USAC had a dirt only series I think they could have 20-30 teams chasing the title and running all the shows. Now you got dirt racers that will hit and miss events as they can not afford or are not interested in a pavement operation.

USAC also needs to look at how they give more back to the loyal followers of the series with tow money. Heck the Woo, All Stars, and ASCS National Tour all pay tow money to their loyal followers. I struggle with all the tracks in IN, OH, MI, KY, and IL and there doesn't seem to be many shows in these areas (outside of IN but I still think there could be more shows there). When you do get races in these areas you need to have 2-3 races per weekend to make it viable for the teams.

As for the pavement. Need to control tire costs, some how eliminate testing, and get more dates. If you can not have at least 15 shows, why bother unless you seperate the dirt and pavement point titles. Overall pavement racing is struggling in the midwest, look at the current car counts for AVSS and HOSS.

Sounds like you are taking the right approach by having some town hall meetings with the teams, drivers and sponsors. That is a step in the right direction.