View Single Post
8/26/19, 5:31 PM   #21
SoIllSprinter

USAC’s system is fair to both quick and slower qualifying cars. If you’re slow, you start up front in the heat, usually when the track is tackier and harder to pass on. If you can hold on, you transfer. Quicker cars who don’t advance get the opportunity to start in the front of the A and if they transfer they can start as high as 7th in the feature. To my way of thinking it is the best setup out there. I like qualifying. I like that they invert the top six in the heats, they aren’t glorified hot laps. I like that the B main gives the quicker qualifiers a chance at redemption. And I like that their generally big onions qualifying gets a reward by NOT being shuffled deep in the field.
There is no jaking under this system. Purposely qualify poorly, you may end up in the rear of the heat. Purposely qualify poorly and hit your mark, so to say, and you start up front in the heat but deep in the field for the feature. Everyone has to give it their best during qualifications. Have the pole time? Good luck, you still have to start 6th or 7th in the feature.
Many say they ought to earn their place. They do, in qualifying. It sets USAC apart and works really well. Don’t mess with a good thing.