Thread: where to start?
View Single Post
McInturff Racing (Offline)
  #3 4/22/13 11:11 PM
As someone who jumped into mini sprints after 15 years out of the cockpit and 1 failed season in FWD compacts I will give you what insight I can.

1) Go out and buy a car. I recommend something decent but not too expensive if money is an issue because you are going to make mistakes on the track and possibly in the garage that are going to cost you money.

2) Put as good a set of shocks and torsion bars in it as you can afford. If these aren't good the car will never handle well and you won't learn squat.

3) Get to be friends with Larry Fosse at SpeedPartz. He will give you 100 pieces of good advice with every part purchase (or without part purchase) and give you the contacts for anyone you could hope for on all aspects of the minis.

4) Buy Scott Fosse"s book on mini sprints and Steve Smith's book on chassis setup. These will give you decent starting points if there isn't someone standing over your shoulder to give you advice.

5) Go to the track and talk to folks. Don't be afraid to tell them you are new and lost. Everyone I came across was more than willing to help me with any questions I had. (In general dirt track folk seem to be willing to give you plenty of good advice right up until you start kicking their butt). Be prepared, you will get conflicting advice because not everyone does things the same. Its not a case of anyone giving bad advice, just different approaches and driver preferences.

6) Seat time, seat time, seat time (same as all racing)

7) Be prepared to have a lot of fun, and a lot of frustration.

I'm sure there is more but I don't want to be any more long winded than this right now! If you want to do it, just dive in. It can be done!
7 Likes: DAD, fish, JarrettFarms73, Jrp4554, Midget 89, Phylo82, SprintFan