View Single Post
9/16/21, 7:44 AM   #5
Re: Are 360 and limited classes feeders or a cheaper option?
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
I always thought the whole "sell" of the 360s was to save money. The main saver was spec cylinder heads. If you did not wish to use the spec heads you had to run an intake manifold restrictor. So, in theory, money saved. With a quality spec head competition was leveled out, so to speak. Short of spec engines, this was a nice, meet-you-in-the middle formula.

At least this is where SOD was just prior and during their alliance with ASCS. After that, they changed their whole approach/formula. But that is not the point.

Anyone invested in this 360 c.i. formula wish to chime in?
Folks,

When we started in sprint cars we ran locally under ASCS rules. At that time the head rule stated "no performance enhancing modifications" allowed. This kept this part of the cost somewhat in hand but, as we've seen with the 305's, it has morphed into "allowable" performance enhancing modifications which are both expensive and necessary to be competitive. The overwhelming trend when rules dictate a spec piece is for parts manufacturers to engineer and manufacture the other components to maximize the power and speed of the car. Note the costs of a fuel injection or driveline components for the 305's. This trend essentially negates the original objective of "cost savings". Oh, and you get to race for 50-75% of the normal purse. So, in answer to the original question, while the costs can be less initially it usually evolves to a near-equal level to the "higher" classes.

The other thing to think about is that the other costs are the same whatever class you race in. You still have transportation costs to get to and from the track, race fuel, oil, tires, etc. You still need a way to get the car to the staging area (and at some tracks around other parts of the country the four-wheeler needs to be big enough to start the car), etc. An audit of my expenses a few years ago revealed that I spent approximately 45% of my racing budget on things other than the race car.

Just my experience.

Tim Simmons