View Single Post
2/18/15, 8:23 AM   #16
Re: Lightning Sprints on Asphalt
Unlucky#9

Now granted this is coming from go karting, but I figure the same principles apply. In going from dirt to pavement, a brake upgrade is not really an option, it's a requirement. The brake setup you run on dirt will be no where near sufficient to stop you effectively on pavement. I tried to take a brake set up perfectly sufficient for a dirt race (the MPD mini lite rotor and caliper setup) and run it in a street race. Needless to say, I was not able to keep up with the rest of the field in any way shape or form, they could drive far deeper into the corner before braking. Then when I tried to follow suit, I ended up plowing into the barriers because my brakes just couldn't stop me. When racing on dirt, you tend to skimp a little on brake performance because you're limited on traction at the rear and LF tires, so a lighter brake setup isn't an issue because it will be able to slide the tires on dirt, however pavement has a lot higher friction co-efficient and the same brakes that were able to lock up the tires on dirt will be just sliding near uselessly at a pavement race. Then it not only becomes a performance issue, but a safety one as well.

2 members like this post: sday27, sprintracer82