Thread: The Moment ....
View Single Post
8/30/13, 12:48 AM   #10
Re: The Moment ....
Danny Burton

I don't know if Karston will remember it in years to come, but I will. 2012 Indiana Midget Week, Gas City. He wanted to go down to the fence and watch Darren Hagen get interviewed and maybe sit in the car. Darren picked him out of the crowd (it helped that I was holding him) and climbed through the gate to give Karston his USAC medallion and a Mopar cap. Tom Brenner took the cap and had Darren and Justin Grant sign it.That cap is covered with signatures now.

At the races Karston will ask, "How many more races are there?" He's not wanting to go home. He wants to know how long before he can go back to the pits and sit in cars. He's not necessarily much for autographs, but he loves to sit in cars. We were watching a sprint car race on YouTube last night and by my unofficial guessing, he had sat in half the cars in the feature.

Reading these other remembrances, I see that not one kid was pushed or forced into this. All I have to do is ask and he says yes, let's go. I remind him to obey his mom because if he doesn't.... As a rule he obeys very well. He's very easy going and will let anyone hold him so he can see better. Long ago he was potty trained and I can even trust him to take Tim Watson to the bathroom, knowing that Karston won't let Tim get lost.

And most of you know that he is only four, about the same age as Jerry Coons' son. Which reminds me...the other night these two staged an impromptu race around the Edison car after he'd handed Jerry some well earned cash.

Not surprisingly, he sleeps most of the way home.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.