Thread: The Rumor Mill
View Single Post
6/22/09, 5:47 PM   #1
The Rumor Mill
Kevin Miller

Normally I like to step in and give you guys "the facts" prior to building speculation and running wild with your thoughts. This time, I wanted to get some of your thoughts out prior to speaking out, as I am truly interested in your opinions.

Is there a problem with the pavement side of our National Sprint Car series. Hell yes. The economics don't work for the teams, or promoters. Yes we need increased purses. Yes we need a grander slate of races. However, when the fans don't support the economics of the sport, then it's awfully difficult to make promoters and teams happy and have healthy car counts and prosperous track owners.

This is not a new problem. Talk to car owners. They're have not been happy with pavement sprint car economics for a while. The economy has taken things to a new level. And as far as USAC fee's...I doubt a $35 or $40 entry fee is keeping away a bunch of cars.

So, as a business leader, I ask a few questions. Play "what if" with some of our drivers and owners. Seek a direction for the future. That's what we do at USAC now...take time, analyze the situation, develop alternatives, discuss with industry leaders, and only then implement a plan we best feel supports a successful solution.

Such was the case with the difficult decision my team had coming on board in December 2007. What to do with the Silver Crown series, or more directly the "new car". We made a difficult decision to bring back the "traditional" car for pavement...perhaps a popular one for some here on IOW but not without it's own set of conflict (teams, tracks, etc). We now see car counts increasing and the discussion of races increasing for 2010.

So as we look to the future of USAC, we ask questions. We play "what if's". Hell, we talk about next generation midget engine platforms, green racing initiatives with our new government administration, linkage with Indy, and yes, pavement sprint cars. Seeing that we have a few of these races over the next two weeks, we have been kicking around thoughts while waiting out the rain during the last week or so.

So please do not take open discussion with drivers, owners, industry leaders, etc as "oh hell, guess what USUC is doing now!"

We will continue to brainstorm many ideas, some that are pretty wild. Let me start one...what do you guys think of wings? Now that is funny!

USAC is currently planning open Town Hall meetings with our teams and sponsors this summer to discuss many initiatives. I am confident that the response we get will help establish the direction we take forward.

As I have always stated here, please feel free to email me directly at Kevin@usacracing.com. I would love to hear more insight on the direction to make a successful USAC. I do have a few thoughts myself

1 member likes this post: SPRINTCAR