View Single Post
4/16/18, 5:13 PM   #4
Re: QUESTION. Indiana Pro Sprints -vs- RaceSaver 305 Sprints
sjracer26

Race Count Last Year: 18

I own and race a Racesaver. I intend on racing at all 4 events up North at Shadyhill and Kokomo. The only race that is in question for me at this point is the Friday night show at Shadyhill as it is hard to get out of work early enough to drive that far.

Regarding performance between the two I cannot comment with solid facts but what I have heard is that the Racesavers have a significant horsepower advantage over the Crate 602. I know we push anywhere from 450-500 hp with the Racesaver engine package depending on the dyno used. And from what I hear the 602's are not in that range at all.

The power difference however may not be a major concern. We all know how dry and nasty some of the tracks tend to get around here in the summer. I don't know where the power curve kicks in for the 602 but I know when it is slick the Racesavers can buzz the tires easily and finding traction is difficult. So with the right track conditions it could be a very competitive race.

Overall in the state I think there are 30ish total Racesavers (+/-2). I know 5 cars that were not at Bloomington Friday night, including myself. So at least 28. Then add in the Ohio series with probably 20+ cars and you start to see that in this region the series as a whole is growing very well compared to the 602's. I think the country wide popularity, as mentioned by Nate, is a significant factor in the growth of the Racesavers. I know they have had nearly 130 cars for the last two years at the Racesaver Nationals at Eagle Raceway in Nebraska. And this year they are the headliner for a big payout race in Belleville that is filling the midget nationals spot now that it is gone.

I hope success for everyone, but I would not mind seeing the Pro-Sprints switch over to the Racesaver package at some point in the future. One unified "budget" winged sprint car class would be better overall for the car counts and it would keep things simple for fans to follow.

-Alfred #19

3 members like this post: motorhead748, nathans1012, Racer12