Thread: Resurrection
View Single Post
4/24/19, 9:51 PM   #14
Re: Resurrection
Spi-nex

What's the point of any sporting event? The real reason. To hang out and socialize with your friends/family.

Take any sport, remove the casual fans who wouldn't be there without a buddy(s) and you will be left with only a few handfuls of people who are really there for the big race/game.

Now since your casuals really only want to hang out, you can do that online in any number of facets, for free and in the comfort of their own home. You are not going to bait a majority of the current 20-30 somethings who really have the least amount of money of any demographic into attending. Especially when that demographic is in debt up to their eyeballs with college degrees, new cars, houses, kids, etc.

Most of the money spent going to a race is spent everywhere except the track. Then what do you do when you get there? You sit in uncomfortable bleachers in the burning sun, freezing cold, blasted with dust, out of date PA systems screaming in your ears (some cases not getting any PA...), all with nothing to do except SIT THERE until your bladder is about to explode where you treat yourself to a trip to a more than often than not dirty bathroom. That all sounds like a fantastic night to me where I just blew a bunch of money and several hours on the road.

The fundamental problem that HAS to be solved is how to overload the senses where sensations of every variety are being thrown at you left and right. Watch any modern movies or video games? There are so many things thrown at you that you don't have time to really think about stuff. It's all GO GO GO as fast as you can from every direction in every variety. This isn't a problem with just racing, but I believe racing is much more susceptible to the problem than your traditional stick and ball sports due to the nature of the program.

You want younger fans to come to your event? STOP WITH THIS "FAMILY FRIENDLY" CRAP! Why are bars/clubs/concerts hot spots? Booze and a more risque atmosphere would do wonders. When you were in your 20's did you really want to hang out for an evening with grandma and grandpa? Of course you didn't. Going to the track anymore feels more like going to Sunday dinner than a "fun filled night."

Cultivate and encourage fun outside of what is happening on that racetrack because frankly, it's the absolute least important factor to your casual fan (I'm not talking about you traditional purists!). There needs to be FUN. Otherwise.. out comes the cellphone... disconnecting from everything they paid to enjoy, all due to boredom.
Last edited by Spi-nex; 4/24/19 at 9:53 PM.