View Single Post
8/12/18, 4:27 PM   #37
Re: And so it begins
hoosier race fan

I don’t think I could have asked for much better in my first trip to Knoxville. That A Main was an absolute thriller with the battle between Larson and Schatz, then Sweet, Larson, and Schatz. Even though Brad was pretty dominant early, there wasn’t anyone there who thought he had that race wrapped up. Schatz passing Larson late in the race and closing in on Sweet with just a few laps to go had many on the edge of their seat hoping Brad could hold on. The collective groan of almost the entire crowd when Kerry Madsen flipped with 2 to go was an indication of just how much that race means to so many fans (plus the culmination of several years of seeing Schatz dominate). But that set the stage for two of the most intense and exciting laps I’ve seen. When Schatz made his move to the outside coming to take the white flag, I really thought he would get Brad. That collective groan moments earlier turned to a thunderous roar though when Sweet pulled ahead off of 2 and again off of 4 on the final lap. The jubilation from Sweet was great in his victory lane interview. Lots of great stories from last night.

Sold out crowd, and we were all treated to an outstanding show. Certainly one I will never forget. Reminded me a lot of the finish at the first World 100 I attended in 2002.

Anyone who doesn’t go to Knoxville because it is a winged sprint race is only cheating themselves. The whole experience is pretty incredible. It is very different from the Kings Royal. I think many fans from this area have been to the Kings Royal and don’t care for it compared to the traditional sprints and midgets. Don’t let that mislead you into not going to Knoxville for the nationals. It is absolutely worth it.
Last edited by hoosier race fan; 8/12/18 at 6:52 PM.