View Single Post
8/28/14, 12:59 AM   #26
Re: Regional speedways all facing major challenges
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
I agree that all are good points here. One more thing I am going to interject is TV coverage. Back in the 80s, USAC got a lot of coverage out of Thursday Night Thunder and subsequently Saturday Night Thunder. In the early to mid 90s, TNN had the Slick 50 Sprint Car World Series from Manazanita and then Canyon Raceway for three years airing over the Winter months. This gave sprint cars a LOT of air time and hooked in a bunch of fans, I am guessing.

Now, 20 some odd years later, with the exception of the WoO Sprints tape delayed on the old Outdoor Channel 7-8 years ago, which, in my opinion, was GREAT, this well has run dry. There is nothing out there to reel new fans in. Sure, you have the end of the year stuff at the Dirt Track at Charlotte, but there is no Knoxville Nationals or Chili Bowl live coverage anymore, no Thunder, no Winter series, etc.
Back in the 80s and early 90s when we had sprints and midgets on TV I got 8 to 9 guys to watch it and they came in to work talking about how kool and good the racing was so I asked them about going to see it live and everyone of them said samething Why should I pay to get in when I see it for free? I tried explaineing why but I never got them to go