View Single Post
1/17/16, 8:08 PM   #37
Re: Tony Stewart into stand @ Chili Bowl to confront heckler
B99

Just to preface this, I enjoy a cold frosty one as much as anyone, however......

I see this type of guy all too often at the track, whether it's the weekend race track, a NASCAR or Indy Car event. They are an embarrassment to the sport and to themselves.

People who get so drunk that they can't stand up, fall all over people, get so obnoxious that people either are afraid of them or want to belt them in the mouth. And for some reason, they believe they have a right to act this way and drink this way simply because they bought a ticket to a sporting event. I know many track ops need to sell beer to keep in business yet sometimes I wonder if the trouble it causes is really worth it. Do you suppose it keeps other fans away who don't want to deal with people like this guy in Tulsa?

Yes, a police officer on duty or off duty is held to a higher standard. It's part of the responsibility they take when they decide to wear the badge. Had people complained about the guys behavior I imagine security (at many tracks) might have come and told the guy to calm down or take a hike. As they should.

And do the critics and keyboard jockeys realize that this upstanding off duty cop was yelling and mouthing not at a driver, but a member of the track crew? A guy prepping the track? Seriously? If someone behaved this way everytime that Tommy Helfrich or Reese O'Connor walked past the stands to the track, wouldn't you think the guy had a serious problem? Would you want to sit next to him, or have your kids sit next to him? Want to drive the same highway as him on the way home?

What difference does it make that it was Tony Stewart?