View Single Post
2/19/17, 2:09 PM   #3
Re: 2 Turner Monocoque Midgets for sale
vintage1/4s

Doug,

In discussing these cars, we usually ID them by the first owner. Lance Turner (Harry's son) has a VW tub, as do I (Gary Hempel's #11 car) - both cars restored. Not really in the market for another one, but we try to track them all.

I believe you're in downstate IL, if I recall correctly - if so, I saw photos sent to Lance many moons ago. My thought then was: one of the tubs resembles Kurt Mayhew's monocoque Chev II, circa 1973. Harry sold Kurt a very incomplete aluminum tub. The front of Kurt's tub was unique - it was shortened to correct some poor engineering done by a 'sub-contractor' Kurt hired to help finish the car. It came back to Harry's shop (I worked there at the time), and it got an extension of the front subframe, to maintain its designed wheelbase. The other car in the mailed photos showed some workmanship unlike Harry's. Can't tell much from your posted photos. Would enjoy seeing any details you can provide.

Lance and I can usually ID original work by Harry, vs the copies.

I'd be interested in the history of your two cars, as you understand it. Meanwhile, here's some photos of the Hempel monocoque car. Anybody know if Gary is still about? I have been unable to track him down.

More photos, if requested. (Lance owns Harry's house car, later bought and raced by a young John Callahan.)

Gregg Kishline
Kenosha WI
Attached Images
Gary Hempel, Sun Prairie, Turner VW tub.jpg (78.8 KB, 137 views)
Dull's #56pic, crash.JPG (255.9 KB, 115 views)
storage 9-28-2014 004.JPG (310.9 KB, 130 views)