View Single Post
1/10/12, 11:15 AM   #4
Re: Best Choice for Head and Neck Restraint?
darnall

I have worn a HANS once. Have never worn a Hybrid or Defender. I do own and use a D-Cell, the one that was designed and marketed for open wheel/multi angle impact uses...and I really really like it. It's very similar to a hutchens device but with fewer straps and doesn't anchor the same way as the hutchens (instead of one strap under your crotch it has 2 that wrap around each upper thigh just below the pelvis) It uses the pelvis as the anchor and is basically like wearing a repelling harness. It has no impact on the fit and feel of the shoulder harnesses like some of the HANS type devices. Has a quick release tether on each side that you can tape or velcro to the front of your helmet to make finding it easier. I seem to be able to get out of the car easier with it on than with the HANS, it's way more comfy on the shoulders, and still lets me feel the same in the seat as not using a device...the HANS felt like it made me sit different.

The only drawback with MY D-cell is that I purchased it before SFI had a rating system for head/neck restraints so it doesn't have that little tag on it. It seems like I read that D-Cells are now SFI certified but since mine doesn't have the tag I bet I wouldn't be allowed to race with it with any sanction that mandates SFI certification and enforces the rule. I have used it with a couple of midget series that require an SFI device, explained to them what I had and they told me it was OK, but I imagine USAC would tell me no. Heck I once watched USAC reject a sprint car from passing inspection because of no steering wheel nose pad....then they told the driver that he could duct tape a shop rag on the wheel and be allowed to race