View Single Post
ronmil (Offline)
  #19 9/26/08 7:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ovalmeister:
Gary Congdon (February 18, 1937 - September 24, 1967), was an American racecar driver. Born in Palermo, California, Congdon died in Terre Haute, Indiana in a crash in a midget car race.

David. (thanks wikipedia)!
David,

Thanks for the info. I knew it was late in the year and actually thought it was October. I believe the fatal injury occurred when David Ward, son of Rodger, flipped and came down on top of Gary's car.
Gary was caught up in the 1966 front stretch crash at Indy that involved eleven cars. Gary was driving the car that rode over another and momentarily stood on end. Footage from this crash was featured in a television commercial for Indiana gubernatorial candidate Jill Long Thompson this year. As the crash unfolded, a voice states that Indiana's economy is on the skids.
I remember seeing Gary attempting to qualify a Chevy powered USAC dirt car (Silver Crown) at the 1967 Hoosier Hundred. He called it the "War Wagon", which was a popular John Wayne movie at the time. I don't believe he made the show. Most of the cars then used Offys or DOHC Fords.

Ron Miller