View Single Post
2/5/23, 11:00 AM   #121
Re: Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never
JJMooney

Digging into the memory bank again for these…

Capital Speedway, Holts Summit MO (10/22/94): Back in the day Holts Summit was kind of an open wheel hot spot. There are probably some on this board who've been there when it was happening place for sprint cars. By 1994 not so much. It was a NASCAR-sanctioned, dirt stock car track. My only visit to Holts Summit saw just 12 360’s on hand. Most were California cars. By “California cars” I mean “Double X Speedway, California MO cars”. Little Rock’s Rick Logan won. I don’t remember much else. Track closed 20 years ago and is now a housing development, I think.

Thunder Hill Raceway, Mayetta KS (8/20/95): Located north of Topeka in East Jesus somewhere. When the track first opened, they hosted the Jayhawk Nationals. The event was rained out twice in the days leading up to the ’95 Knoxville Nationals. The first time, the pits were just chock full of sprint cars. There must have been 60 cars. Then, of course, it rained. Drove back the next day. Rained again. Rescheduled for the Sunday after Knoxville. Came back and saw Kenny Jacobs win.

Could-a-should-a-would-a: I wish I had seen sprint cars at Macomb IL. The track is long gone. 1/5 mile. They had a 360 show there twenty-some years ago. I heard it was nuts. I also saw mention here of McHenry KY. That’s another one I wish I saw. There was talk just a few years ago that it might reopen.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, mlamb, oldfan49