View Single Post
8/2/10, 11:32 AM   #34
Re: Best dirt track ?
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt330 View Post
What is the best dirt track year in and year out. Fan friendly, seating, food,parking ,and camping?
Just based on that criteria, I would have to put Houston Raceway Park near the top of the list. This year, they have dropped their weekly format, and only race special shows, but when considering fan friendly, the joint is second to none. Large concession stand and midway during the special shows, bench seating in the bleachers with back rests, seating for 8,000+, air conditioned and enclosed luxury suites, Musco lighting system and huge parking lot. Since it is local (and I don't camp even when on a road trip), I can't speak for the camping, but as I wrote, there is a huge parking lot. It shares the grounds with the NHRA drag strip (located behind the back stretch pit area).

As a bonus for the racers, there are paved pits, full concession stand and clean restrooms (with flush toilets, too). Oh, and the paved pits are lighted and lots of taps available for fresh water. One thing that IS lacking in the pits is a place to sit. The bleachers were blown over during the back stretch fence during Hurricane IKE and haven't been replaced.

Now, they only race about once a month, and usually have sprints (ASCS Gulf South and TNT Bandits this year, with non wing mini sprints). They also run the USMTS Modifieds in the spring and late fall. The late fall show usually attracts over 80 mods and 65 "sport" mods.

While the management of the dirt track has been controversial lately, they do draw SRO crowds by giving away tickets and charging only for parking. For shows when they do not give away tickets (WoO Sprints, for example), parking is free.

They could stand a "marquee" sprint car event, in my opinion, but that may take some time to happen.