View Single Post
1/21/15, 11:21 AM   #155
Re: BMARA engine rules are now D-II
gearguy

Cheap - Fast - Reliable: Pick two of three
I've been fielding cars in the Illini Series since 2008. I started developing a Honda motor in 2009. We ran two different Hondas last year, one with EFI. Here's what I have learned:
1. Unless you luck into a very low mileage [<50,000] motor you will want to rebuild your salvage yard motor. Add $2000 for parts and machine work. It costs $140 in gaskets & bolts to pull the head off one of these motors.
2. The bolt on parts are very pricy. I don't like the look of the single throttle body but real racing injection is $2000 or more.
3. Fuel pumps are a PITA. An electric pump of sufficient quality & volume is over $300. A GOOD mechanical pump is >$400.
4. Accessory drive parts & brackets are very costly. Look at the catalogs. Figure $600/750 for bracket/pulley/belts; more if you have yo change the water pump. We may put more thought into the serpentine OEM system.
5. Ignition systems are also expensive. I don't know of anyone using a modified OEM system. Aftermarket systems are >$800. EFI more like $1350.
6. Oil pans are $500. I tried making my own; required more fab skill than I could round up in my circle of volunteers.
7. Headers are also expensive. I used modified passenger car headers but real racing headers are going to be $500 or more.
These costs are baseline numbers. You might do better, you might do worse. EcoTecs are always going to be cheaper than Hondas in the salvage yard because there are so many of them. All the bolt on stuff is about the same.

3 members like this post: DAD, dirtball, Tom23