View Single Post
1/23/20, 1:26 PM   #2
Jerry Shaw

Over the years USAC has been pretty much set in their ways, as far as their format is concerned. While watching single car qualifying on a dirt track (especially on the Action Track, to me) is one of the greatest things in motorsports, the downside has always been that it pretty much sets the lineup in stone, no matter how hard a driver races in their heat. The exception being the change made in recent years that excluded B Main transfers from the invert. Several of these changes announced today are landmark ones, as far as I'm concerned. Ones that will have an immediate effect on the quality of the program. Especially the rule guaranteeing the worst a heat race winner can start in the feature is 10th. The driver that just so happened to have a bad qualifying attempt isn't necessarily buried all night long. There is a now a way they can redeem themselves and put themselves in a much better situation. It adds a whole new dynamic and and another dimension to the heat races. And the alternate seeding of qualifying flights makes the concept of 2 different flights make perfect sense now and is a true compensation for changing track conditions during the qualifying session.

Bravo, USAC. I think you've made some changes that will make the racing even better.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 1/23/20 at 4:31 PM.