View Single Post
10/5/23, 5:06 PM   #16
Re: LPS MAVERICK WINGED SPRINTS & Bombers 10/6
kb78

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99 View Post
I agree, most winged shows I see the winner of the heats comes from the pole or the front two rows, generally. Only time I see someone come from the back using passing points is if a really fast guy gets a really bad draw.

I've always liked USAC's format for the sprints, I thought it was one of the most challenging just to make the main. My only issue with the USAC format is you get your time back by making the main. I know they invert the first six but I'd like to see mains lined up by heat race finish instead, and then the B main at the back.
So your gonna ask the quick qualifier to start 6th in his heat and then let whoever wins the heat start up front in the feature? Sounds like a format for interesting sandbagging in qualifying to me. Look at the Hustler this year, you have one of the best qualify 15th in the field and his reward is to start on the pole of his heat and because of that he started on the pole of the feature. He qualified poorly and then never had to pass a car to win the thing.
Now I'm not suggesting that Bacon sandbagged and Lord knows that he is good enough to have come through the crowd if he needed, but if you are going to reward midpack qualifiers in that format then the race will be on to time in 20th place every night. Just like the King's Royal.

No format is going to be perfect but I like what USAC does, it promotes the driver to go hard everytime he is on the track. JMO.

5 members like this post: 2fast4u, BrentTFunk, flagboy55, oppweld, Tall Jackson