View Single Post
7/19/17, 8:16 PM   #44
Re: what hurts sprintcar racing
Stevensville Mike

What seems like years ago (mainly because it was - 1991, 1992, 1993-ish) I got hooked on dirt sprints from the Winter Heat Series on The Nashville Network (TNN). LIVE! The first winter they were at Manzanita and it was GREAT! Then they went the next year to Canyon Raceway and it was GREAT! Then NASCAR started the truck series, Supertrucks they called it, and sprints were gone.

A few years later in the early 00s, The Outdoor Channel then began showing the WoO Sprints weekly, tape delayed. It was GREAT! A one hour show with Brad Doty and Art Eckman doing the commentary. The Outdoor Channel then became Versus..... then I think it morphed into what is now NBC Sports Network. But nonetheless, after a couple of years, the sprints were gone.

Prior to ALL of this ALL of us old timers remember Thursday Night Thunder! Then it became Saturday Night Thunder. They were both GREAT! Then the sprints disappeared.

I know it is a stretch, but getting a few races on TV now and then wouldn't hurt anything. I can remember watching an old race on a black and white TV as a kid from who knows where (Eldora maybe?) with a guy named Jan Opperman showing everyone the way around and a guy named Bruce Walkup right on his tail. Man.... turning right to go left! What a concept! No wings. In fact, a couple of cars actually had ROLL cages!

I'd like to see us on TV a bit more. Not on youtube, or burningwhee1s, or anything of the sort.... but on TV. Get that 10 year old kid, or old guy on a budget, who don't have the internet to watch. THAT is what hurts us more than anything.

Great thread. Thanks for starting it. Great ideas from all.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55