Thread: Yeah Tony...
View Single Post
6/28/16, 3:46 PM   #10
Re: Yeah Tony...
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatout View Post
Have you watched British Touring Cars or Australian Supercars? Both of those are full contact racing.
Okay. Okay. I'll meet you half way here, bud. I wasn't all inclusive with my earlier post.

The BTCC does let them biff and barge. I will say that much. It is closer to NASCAR in rules than any other touring car series. However, in the past decade, I cannot recall a driver punting another on the last corner and getting the win.

The Aussie V8 Supercars, now the Virgin Australia Supercar Series..... I watch them religiously Each round along with quals, or "qually" as they sat in Oz. No way do they let these guys get away with punting and shoving. In fact, their pit road rules are probably the most strict of all. "Unsafe releases" are the most ticketed items. You cannot drive side by side through the pit lane, or even touch, for that matter.

They, the DTM, WTCC, WEC, even IMSA do not allow the bump and run. Maybe a little hip and shoulder, but decent/heavy contact or pushing..... no way.

Nonetheless, I agree - point made with respect to your post. The BTCC is a little reckless at times. But I also cannot recall them throwing out the Safety Car for a small piece of debris, such as NASCAR, to get a Jason Plato back to the front. Usually when they deploy the Safety Car it is for getting a car that is buried out of a tyre stack or one sitting on the track with only three wheels left on it.

I do not wish to argue any point here, however I do stand firm that NASCAR can manipulate races and outcomes more than anyone, and they did so this past Sunday. They got what they want now. It is what it is and a fan of that series should always know what to expect.

Thanks for listening, flatout. Good point you made.

1 member likes this post: flatout