View Single Post
3/28/17, 8:25 PM   #45
Re: Desoto Speedway safety
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerman View Post
How many drivers do we have to lose before tracks and sanctioning bodies require full containment seats. Looking at a picture of Steele's car from that night there is no full containment seat showing on the left side. Driver impacting the left side and nothing to keep the drivers head from hitting the wall.

I do give credit to Eldora as they are mandating full containment seats for all series this year (hence why BOSS is not sanctioning the Sprintacular nonwinged portion). Of course it took a fatality last year in a late model for this to become mandatory.

Just makes me sick when we lose another driver. RIP Dave Steele and Jason Leffler.
Shane Unger, the man who died at Eldora did not die from not having HANS or not having FC seat, he died from internal injuries, NOT head or spinal trauma. He was a grown man as was DS, both capable of making his own decisions, I'm not for mandatory PPE, this isn't the USSR or France. We have freedom and sometimes we are free to be wrong. Not in favor of government or sanction overreach. Shane Unger was a large man and never would have been able to use an FC seat anyway and in a DLM can lead to entrapment during rollovers, which happened twice last year with fires and 1 fatality. FC's aren't right for every application and making them mandatory can open you up for lawsuits as well. Its best to educate and strongly recommend in my view.