View Single Post
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #9 3/14/16 10:05 AM
Here is the link to the article on racer.com with respect to IndyCar drivers weighing in on halos and driver protection:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/12...ct-to-f1-halos

Tony Kanaan pointed something out that I never thought about and that is some IndyCar tracks are banked. Unlike road courses, the drivers are not necessarily looking straight ahead on oval tracks and the bars/devices designed to protect the drivers might hinder sight lines. But also, the comments were based upon the F1 concept shown above in the thread.

James Hinchcliffe also pointed out that this above concept might not prevent smaller objects from striking the driver, such as the suspension piece that hit Felipe Massa in the head years ago in Hungary.

Safety devices will more than likely be put in place sooner or later for these drivers whether the fans like it or not. Said debate amongst us fans started last year on this forum. I do not wish to rehash it. I only meant for this thread to enlighten us fans of the going-ons in the open wheel world with respect to driver protection and the evolution of the products as they are enhanced and refined.
2 Likes: jim goerge, Puppy