View Single Post
11/13/23, 11:15 AM   #10
Re: What would it take for USAC to be as big as the WOO?
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
Since the off season can get very boring at times, I thought about this a bit today and thought this would be a good topic to discuss during the off season.

Just a thought I had while watching a few NFL games this afternoon.

What would it take for USAC to be as big as the World Of Outlaws currently are now or is USAC already on the same level?

What would have to happen to make this a possibility and make non-wing racing more of a national thing like winged racing?

Boost in race payouts for each show.?
Big name guys that run wing taking the wing off and seeing how they stack up?
A Bigger Schedule with more race dates and visiting new tracks?
More big sponsors to help with the payouts?
Getting more people interested in non-wing racing fans and drivers included?

Problem that likely keeps this from happening is there are more 410 wing races in the U.S. than there are 410 non-wing race cars and there are more tracks for the winged racers to race at.
My opinion - What it would take is a "dictator" with the strong promotional characteristic to draw the dollars necessary to make the entertainment as, or even more, attractive to all of the "shareholders", those being the racers/owners, track operators/owners, sponsors and , more importantly, the fans, be they hard core, casual, or new. Where I'm going with this is I don't believe there would ever be a WOO without Ted Johnson, and there probably wouldn't be an ASCS without Emmet Hahn, and there probably wouldn't be an Allstars without the Emicks. In my mind these folks had a vision and stayed on task, succeeding and thriving against many obstacles and potential rival organizations. These folks stayed the course to make the show better for all concerned.

What I've found in my time is that any racing organization that is run by committee, be they racers, owners, etc. has a very difficult time succeeding because some priorities for each is most-likely in conflict with others, minimizing the organization's success, eventually ending in some sort of split. The "dictator', on the other hand is more able to keep the main objective in focus and, therefore, march in one direction rather than be pulled in several directions. They also have the promotional characteristic to draw the sponsorship necessary to succeed.

Again, just my observation and opinion.

Tim Simmons