View Single Post
12/27/23, 2:05 PM   #1
DirtTrackTherapy16J

First, I'd like to wish everyone a Safe and Happy Holiday Season. Secondly, this is a long read. Dont want to read it, keep scrolling, no problem. Third, I am not posting this thread to start drama, problems, or bash anyone. Fourth, as always I could care less how many likes I get, I'm not on here for attention, I get more attention then I want without social media on most days. Lastly, I'm only making this thread as it involves the potential future of one of our beloved Indiana tracks. With that said, let's go.

Gas City I69 Speedway use to be my 2nd favorite track, with Kokomo Speedway being #1 and that will never change. GC use to be booming, hopping, thriving, just an awesome awesome place for all ages including families. Even regular weekly racing the place was jam packed, sometimes tough to find a good seat and having to park clear in the back of the grass back by the tractor dealership.

Mr. Gappens had the place at an incredible high level of racing, the atmosphere was awesome, and lots of fun!! Huge car counts, huge attendance numbers. Things happen in life, things change in life, and an opportunity arose for Mr. Gappens and his family and he took it in which who wouldn't? I dont know anyone that wouldn't have taken it.

So in comes a new promoter, considered by some as a veteran promoter. Over the course of the last 2 years things have not went well outside of USAC shows. Some will disagree, most would agree. Take a survey of 100 random people between teams, drivers, fans, and employees and you can be assure 80% or better would say GC has significantly went down hill. Our racing family/group consists of 15-20 people any given race. Last year only 2-3 of us would go to GC to watch a race. Huge drop off just in one family/group.

I consider GC one of the best 1/4 mile tracks in the nation that does not have a wall. Most of the track doesnt have a wall for those who havent been there. These types of tracks I have learned are better for weekly racing vs tracks with walls. I know alot of people think weekly racing is going away, maybe it is, maybe it's not.

Last year at GC something different was tried, less races, more specialty races, new awards, new trophies, new races, 10-12 race season, still didnt pan out, again outside of USAC shows. Lots of fans and teams and drivers travel the USAC circuit so those shows will generally produce regardless of what track.

USAC 2024 schedules have been released. Gas City remains on the schedule for Midget Week, Sprint Week, and James Dean Classic. That's good news the track is staying open to some degree being operated and promoted by someone.

However, over the last 2 days, I received some information that I consider a late Christmas gift. 2 different people with ties to Gas City I69 Speedway who do not know each other, in one way shape form or another, with the exact same story, exact same names, stating a new team may be taking over the helm at GC, a pair of gentleman operating as a team.

I will not say who those 2 gentleman are, I will not say who my 2 sources are, ask away but I will not answer. I'm not that type of person who throws people's names out. Say it's not true all you want bc I wont give names or sources, that's fine too. I know my sources are very credible and the stories I was told makes perfect sense. Stay tuned, maybe they will make an announcement after the first of the new year and this becomes true public knowledge and hopefully the track comes back to the way it was just a few years ago!!
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 12/27/23 at 2:08 PM.